TIforOA

Sanctify yourself through the permissible... Yevamos 20a

Divrei Torah to provide Chizuk in the struggle to balance spiritual and physical needs.

L'Iluei Nishmas Mirkah Bas Yosef




Thursday, January 6, 2011

Another moving guest post--


I just wanted to share something that happened to me this past Friday night in the hope that it will help someone with their recovery. I usually find Shabbos the hardest day for abstinence as it is the time that I like to unwind, sit down, relax a little, read some Jewish books and enjoy nice food! So, last Friday night I had been abstinent all week and I wanted to try over Shabbos too. It was hard, and I was struggling, but BH, the kids had gone to sleep and I had some time to think. I went upstairs to avoid the temptation and I actually stopped and spoke to HaShem. I begged him for help and I thought about a few emotional issues that I had been dealing with during the week for which I hadn’t found any solution. This time that I sat quietly and actually tried to connect to HaShem and open up my mind and my heart to His presence was richly rewarded!


I started to see the issues that I was struggling with, in a completely new light. Answers were just coming to me as a free gift being dropped into my brain from HaShem and I am so grateful to Him for helping me. I wanted to share it with you because my sponsor has said to me a number of times that the food is like a blockage between myself and HaShem. By putting down the food, and running to HaShem instead of food when I want to escape whatever is happening in my life, then I open myself up for His help. The food cannot help, but He can! It’s so simple, and yet I’m still fighting with my self-will (aka Yetzer Hara for me). The Yetzer Hara wants to keep us miserable, and keep us away from the help we can get and the closeness to HaShem which is the main purpose of our being in this world.

I wish you all a wonderful, abstinent Shabbos, with tremendous closeness to HaShem, who loves us all and is waiting so patiently for us to come and find Him.

Much love,

X

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails