TIforOA

Sanctify yourself through the permissible... Yevamos 20a

Divrei Torah to provide Chizuk in the struggle to balance spiritual and physical needs.

L'Iluei Nishmas Mirkah Bas Yosef




Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hashem's natuaral bounty

All man's toil is for his mouth, yet his wants are never satisfied. Better is what the eyes see than what is imagined...That, too, is futility and a vexation of the spirit. (Koheles 6:7 and 9)




Man labors incessantly to satisfy his cravings, which, alas, remain unappeased. Better that we should enjoy the little we have, than the futile quest of unsatisfied longing. (Artscroll Machzor).



Thankfully, I fully enjoy G-d's natuaral bounty today. My palate has been cleansed through abstinent eating, and I am able to appreciate the subtle and wonderful flavors in the food Hashem provides. There is no need for me to adulterate my food with unnecessary ingredients, which are usually calorie laden. The special foods I prepare for Yom Tov are a colorful mix of vegetables, and the tastiest fish and meat I can find, and I present these on a beautiful table setting.



No longer am I chasing an elusive dream, that the next thing I ingest will give me that "high" that I seek. My "high" comes from making my Shabbos and Yom Tov meals special sacrifices on my family table and partaking of food in a controlled manner. Only in this way, have I found contentment and the ability to have an ever closer connection to Hashem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails