TIforOA

Sanctify yourself through the permissible... Yevamos 20a

Divrei Torah to provide Chizuk in the struggle to balance spiritual and physical needs.

L'Iluei Nishmas Mirkah Bas Yosef




Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Making the most of what we have.

Photo - The last half an hour of the fast at the Kotel, the Western Wall, in Jerusalem, Eretz Yisroel.
Hang in there. The fast is almost over. May it be true for the golus as well!
by Reb Gutman Locks at Mystical Paths

As the fast draws to a close I find myself appreciating what I have all the more.  The period of the 3 weeks and the nine days brought our lives to a level of simplicity that we do not usually have.  Walking through an enticing shopping area and saying to myself "no point in looking, you don't need or want anything, and even if you do you can't buy it" 


Even learning to get by without meat and chicken was eye opening.  When I first started OA my sponsor mentioned that meat and chicken are filling so I should eat them a lot.  Somehow I kept thinking that I needed meat and chicken all of the time.  During the nine days I discovered that I can be satisfied with beans and fish perfectly well.


Now as I contemplate going back to "normal" I am grateful that I learned that I can get by with less and still be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails