TIforOA

Sanctify yourself through the permissible... Yevamos 20a

Divrei Torah to provide Chizuk in the struggle to balance spiritual and physical needs.

L'Iluei Nishmas Mirkah Bas Yosef




Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The ideal way for a person to aquire abstinence.

The ideal way for a person to acquire abstinence is to examine the inferior nature of the pleasures of this world, their insignificance, and the serious ills that are likely to emerge from them.
               - the beginning of chapter 15  Misilis Yesharim
                - Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzatto

Pesach was a time of stark contrasts.  As hard as it was to stay abstinent, the benefits were extremely clear.  I walked to Shul, up and down a big hill, and it was easy.  I feel like a whole new world is opening up as my physical abilities improve.  I could get down on the floor and play with my grandchildren, and even get up again without to much difficulty.  Overeating is a serious issue for many on Pesach, and as I emerge from the Yom Tov feeling healthy and good, and I listen to others complain about the misery of overindulging, I am extremely grateful for my abstinence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails