TIforOA

Sanctify yourself through the permissible... Yevamos 20a

Divrei Torah to provide Chizuk in the struggle to balance spiritual and physical needs.

L'Iluei Nishmas Mirkah Bas Yosef




Sunday, April 11, 2010

Using the tools Hashem gave me.


... "for a bird of the skies may carry the sound, and some winged creature may betray the matter". (Koheles 11:20)

Shlomo Hamelech, blessed by Hashem with Chochma Yeseira (an extra measure of wisdom), reminds us that the nature of "Chai", the highest level of creation, is its difficulty of holding onto a secret. He admonishes that, before one speaks, one should be aware that "a bird in the skies may carry the sound".

And yet, I am not free to shrug off my responsibility, and claim that gossip is part of human nature. I must use the tools Hashem gave me, the double barrier of my lips and teeth, to guard me from gossip and sharing others confidences. If I safeguard others' confidences by maintaining Anonymity, I will be cultivating an important character trait within myself, which will spill over into my life. It's interesting that maintaining abstinence and practice of anonymity in the OA program are both dependent on the closure of the lips and teeth, the natural barriers given us by Hashem.

I cannot totally abstain from speech, and neither can I abstain from all food. Therefore, I must exercise caution, and ask for Hashem's help, in refraining from excesses, both in speech and in the consumption of food.

Hakodosh Baruch Hu never reveals secrets I share with Him. Let me strive, for today, to emulate Him.
guest post by Hessie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails